4-Week Volunteer Program
Please keep in mind that while volunteering with us is an exciting, life-changing experience, it is also a great responsibility. We take the care of our animals and volunteers very seriously, and lack of attention can seriously harm our animals. While you will love being around our animals, it is important to remember that their care and attention is your primary responsibility. Their little lives are in your hands.
Volunteer Training begins every Monday morning at 11:00am. On this day, you will be introduced to the other volunteers, and get all the information you need to fully start your volunteering on the next day. Attendance is mandatory. On this day, please bring your deposit copy, as well as copies of your negative tuberculosis test and medical insurance. We recommend a volunteer insurance like this.
- Minimum age of 18
- Experience not required
- Basic English or Basic Spanish
- Minimum stay of 1 month (1 week at La Ceiba and 3 weeks at the Jaguar Rescue Center)
- Application form
- TB test certificate from your country
- Health insurance certificate
- Please keep in mind that the volunteer work includes different kinds of assignments and not just staying with the animals.
What is included?
At the Jaguar Rescue Center
- 3 days of training
- A visit to the ARA PROJECT
- A Jaguar Rescue Center T-Shirt
- 2 speeches from the Jaguar Rescue Center team
- Security speech from the touristic police
- Volunteer Day
- Assistance certificate
At La Ceiba
- 1 week volunteer work at La Ceiba (usually starts on a Monday of the last week of your stay!) including accommodation at the Heliconias house
- Breakfast at El Rancho
- Equipped kitchen with drinking water, salt, oil etc
- 1 night tour
What is not included?
- Transportation from airport or town to rescue center. Need transportation from San Jose to Puerto Viejo? Book Here
- Accommodations are not included, excluding the one week in La Ceiba
- Meals are not included, excluding breakfast for one week in La Ceiba
- Flights or airport taxes
- Visa costs
- Insurance - We recommend a volunteer insurance like this.
If you need to spend a night in San José we recommend Adventure Inn Hotel, next to the Juan Santamaria International Airport. They are presently #2 of 78 San Jose hotels on TripAdvisor. Make a reservation using the promo code jaguar and you receive a 10% discount below the already discounted rate of the day, plus another 10% off if you pay in cash.
What You’ll Do
Jaguar Rescue Center
Volunteering at the Jaguar Rescue Center involves general cleaning and facility maintenance, food preparation, and general care for a variety of animals.
Volunteers are required to work 5 days a week, from 7:30am – 4:00pm. The days you will volunteer will be determined upon your arrival.
When you volunteer at La Ceiba, you will be spending your time 3 miles away from the JRC, in the pristine, primary forest of Costa Rica. Your work will consist of assisting the staff in the reintroduction of animals to their primary habitat after they have been rehabilitated at the Jaguar Rescue Center.
Off days vary. You are FREE two days a week and in the afternoon/evening