Nursery Long Term Volunteer
We are looking for hardworking, mature, flexible and healthy volunteers for our Nursery. Preferably 21+ and independent
Number of places: 2
Workplace: We have 3 different areas on site
- Clinic: Sick, injured and/or quarantined animals + new arrivals.
- Baby Nursery 1: Delicate animals with round-the-clock care.
- Baby Nursery 2: Young animals in rehabilitation.
Minimum stay: 3 months
Professional skills: Veterinary assistants, Healthcare professionals, animal keepers or last courses students.
JRC rehabilitates injured, sick and orphaned animals and releases those who are restored to good health back to their natural habitat. With a focus on monkeys, sloths, other mammals, birds and reptiles the JRC provides veterinary services, round-the-clock care and comfort to animals that would otherwise be unable to survive in the rainforest or the sea of the Caribbean. In 2019 we received 746 animals.
As a long term volunteer at JRC you will be involved in all the aspects of the nursery. You will be part of a team of approx. 5-10 nursery volunteers and veterinary assistants. We expect that you have carefully given thought to, and are comfortable with, the sometimes stressful environment of working full time in a hospital, before applying for this position.
Volunteer duties include, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning enclosures and general cleaning of Clinic and Baby Nursery
- Correctly handling, weighing and logging weights of various species of animals
- Preparing bottles and food plates
- Feeding various species of animals
- General caretaking, healthchecking and observation of sick, injured and/or orphaned animals
- Assist in clinical examinations of various species of animals and general assisting the vet team, if needed