Nursery Long Term Volunteer
We are looking for hardworking, mature, flexible and healthy volunteers for our Nursery. Preferably 21+ and independent.
Workplace: Jaguar Rescue Center Nursery in Playa Chiquita
Minimum stay: 3 months
Professional skills: Veterinary assistants, Healthcare professionals, biologists or zoologists with hand-on experience, animal keepers or last courses students of any education related to animal caretaking.
JRC rehabilitates injured, sick, and orphaned animals and releases those who are restored to good health back to their natural habitat. With a focus on monkeys, sloths, other mammals, birds, and reptiles the JRC provides veterinary services, round-the-clock care, and comfort to animals that would otherwise be unable to survive in the rainforest or the sea of the Caribbean. In 2022 we received 966 animals.
As a long term volunteer at JRC you will be involved in all the aspects of the nursery. You will be part of a team of approx. 5 nursery volunteers and staff. We expect that you have carefully given thought to, and are comfortable with the sometimes-stressful environment of working full time in an ICU facility, before applying for this position.
Volunteer duties include, but are not limited to:
- - General caretaking, health checking and observation of orphaned animals, including sick/injured individuals and pre-release juvenies, tasks such as:
- Cleaning enclosures
- Handling, weighing, capturing and transporting animals
- Preparing bottles and food plates
- Feeding baby animals with syringe, bottle, tweezers, etc.
- Performing mild treatments (i.e. physiotherapy, clean/bandage wounds, apply creams, etc)
- Administer oral medication/supplements
- Babysitting/foster caring
- - General maintenance, organizing and odd-jobs
- Stocking (i.e. food items, medical supplies, cleaning supplies, etc)
- Deep clean enclosures, cages/carry boxes
- Prepare enclosures for new arrivals
- Cleaning facilities, tools, equipment, etc.